Thursday, May 21, 2015

Nobody Likes a Leek.

During a conversation with a co-worker regarding the types of vegetables kids will plant in an upcoming program, my co-worker suggested leeks.  My response, "Leeks? Nobody likes a leek." A few hours later I was still thinking about leeks. Do I even know if I really like, or dislike, a leek?

I needed the answer. After a stop at the grocery to purchase nothing but leeks, I got busy in the kitchen washing, cutting and roasting vegetables including the leeks. (See my recipe below). One hour later, I had the answer. Leeks are really quite likable.

Cleaning Leeks
Leeks are a fantastic vegetable. With a taste of mild onion, leeks can be used to cook up amazing batches of soup, sautés, and more. But the very nature of how leeks grow can make them tricky to clean; dirt and sand can get buried within the leeks' rings. Here is a great way to make sure your leeks are dirt-free and ready for cooking:
  • Ready a large bowl of water.
  • Cut off the root end of the leek and the dark green tops (save for stock). 
  • Cut the leek in bite-sized rings, separating the layers into individual rings. (Alternatively, you can slice the leek length-wise, then cut into half-circles.)
  • Place the leek rings into the bowl of water, and agitate the leeks well to dislodge any dirt.
  • Let the leeks sit in the water for a few minutes, allowing the dirt to fall to the bottom of the bowl.
  • Lift the now-clean leeks out of the bowl with your hands. Do not pour out the leeks, which would simply pour the dirt back onto them.
  • Place the leeks in a colander and allow them to drain.
  • Use in soups, omelets, sautés, and more.
Click Image to View Full-Screen and Save


Information provided by New Mexico's Farmers' Markets May 2015 e-newsletter.
For more information about what's in season, along with recipes and cooking tips visit 

2 comments:

  1. Actually I like leeks a lot. They make a really great leek and potato soup for a cold winter night (I prefer it hot) especially if the leeks are fresh from the Farmers Market!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is better if fresh from the Farmers' Market! I'll see you there tomorrow!

      Delete