Thursday, August 27, 2015

Spectacles

When I was young my mother informed me that when you reach a certain age, your eyesight will start to go.  I was convinced this happens to other people, definitely not to me.

As I approached the birthday she assured me my eyesight would begin to fail, I felt a sweet victory that my eyes were still functioning and glasses were not needed. The following birthday brought an even sweeter victory, I was still glasses free! 

By the next birthday, I recognized that an interesting phenomenon had occurred. Somehow in the previous 365 days, my arms had shrunk.  I realized this while trying to read.  My arms no longer could hold the book at the distance necessary to see the words on the page. How could this be? 

A visit to my eye doctor quickly cleared up any confusion. My arms had not shrunk. Instead, my eyesight was failing me. Reading glasses were a must. I selected the prettiest pair of spectacles and accepted by fate.  I get the growing older part of life, but why is it that my mom is ALWAYS right?

September is Healthy Aging Month and one way to age in a healthy manner is to take care of your eyesight.  The National Eye Institute has a number of excellent resources regarding keeping your eyes healthy as you age and tips for seeing well for a lifetime

spectacles
Part of my wardrobe of spectacles.



No comments:

Post a Comment